Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rome to Florence - We made it!

Today was our day to travel from Rome to Florence. We were awakened this morning by a phone call, which we didn't get - it was dark, I thought it was the alarm, by the time I had my silent Blackberry in hand it was too late to answer the phone which I had to turn on the light to find.  Luckily, this was 5 minutes prior to the time we wanted to get up, so the phone call made a fine alarm. Sorry that I didn't get to talk to Dave though. Anyway, we got up and breakfasted and tried to get money out of a couple of bank machines near our hotel, without luck, so just carried on to walk to the station. Even with frequent stops for Grandma (up hill dragging a heavy suitcase) we got there in less than 1/2 hour, which meant we had forever to wait for our train.
First things first, we found a bank machine that liked Aidan and her card. Then we had a cappuchino and a chocolate - the thickest and darkest hot chocolate Aidan has found so far. Then we took the lift upstairs for the toilette - which had an attendant who extracted 70 cents for each of us to use the facilities. We went downstairs when Aidan thought she felt different - she didn't have her purse! She ran back to the toilette, asked the attendant, who had taken the purse from someone else and returned it to Aidan. We then went to a quiet spot for Aidan to check through her purse - she still had her purse, her bank card, her card, her phone, her i-pod - however, she had been the victim of my preferred kind of polite thief, who had taken her 40 Euro cash. I replaced her cash and we were both happy.
We went to track 2 to wait for our train. This is the photo above, on track 2, with the train before our train. It left at 11 am, and we expected ours to arrive at 11:04 and depart at 11:15.
It began to rain - my raincoat wasn't where expected, but I took out my fleece instead and thought I must have left my rainjacket at the hotel. Too late to go back for it.
Nothing was happening so I checked the board - it still said Florence was on track 2 Es. About 11:12 Aidan's phone started ringing - she missed it - another call from Dave. Then a couple of girls we had spoken to a few minutes before were running down the other side of the tracks and yelled at us it was that way. Aidan and I hustled as fast as we could, back and around to the other side and 1/2 km or so down, where there was another track 2 (this one 2 Es) and a train that had departed. There were about 10 others like us, who had missed the train because they'd been waiting by the other track 2. My pocket was ringing during this time, so still haven't answered Dave's call.
We walked back to the train station, stood in line for the ticket service, and the nice man replaced our ticket with a new one for Florence, departing at 12:45 (there was a train in between, but we couldn't reserve seats on it.) This was free. This train we got on, got our seats, and had a totally uneventful train ride to Florence. It was raining when we arrived, but my Google map said it was close, so we walked. We carefully followed the Google map directions which took us to the back service door off an alley. They let us in, and I must say the front entrance was much more attractive when we got there.
At this point things started looking up - lost purse, missed train, missing jacket, missed phone calls, screwy Google map are all being forgotton. A new Mastercard was awaiting me at the front desk! The internet in this hotel is totally free! I found my jacket tucked deep into my suitcase!
We still haven't talked to Dave, but everything else has turned out well.
Now it seems to have stopped raining temporarily at least. We'll explore Florence.

1 comment:

Reche said...

Yipes! It's supposed to be an adventure, but not one of those heart-stopping, never know what's going to happen next kind. More romantic-comedy adventure, less Bourne Identity adventure. I'm glad everything worked out though. Enjoy Florence!